Low Level Laser or Cold Laser Therapy (LLLT), also known as cold laser therapy or photonic therapy, is a painless, sterile, non-invasive, drug-free treatment that is used to treat a variety of pain syndromes, injuries, wounds, fractures, neurological conditions and pathologies. It is also used in needle-free acupuncture. Unlike hot lasers, which are used for surgical purposes, cold lasers are strictly used for healing purposes. The devices are regulated and not like the store-bought or ebay-bought lasers.
Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is thought to have an analgesic effect as well as a biomodulatory effect on microcirculation. Many studies show the pain-relieving effect of LLLT and microcirculatory changes.
Controlled laboratory trials have found that LLLT can reduce inflammation through reduction of PGE2-levels and inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) in cell cultures (Campaña et al 1993, Honmura et al 1993, Sakurai et al 2000, Shimizu et al 1995). Laser irradiation of a joint capsule can reduce pain in chronic joint disorders if the dose is adjusted to inhibit inflammatory activity in the joint capsule.
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is a universal method of treating muscle, tendon, ligament, connective tissue, bone, neurological dysfunction or skin damage, and skin tissue.
This form of treatment is a major advantage for athletes due to the neurological applications and the extremely fast results that can be achieved.
Low Level Laser Therapy is popularly used for:
- Soft Tissue Injuries- Sprains, Strains, Hematomas, Tendonitis, Tenosynovitis, Capsulitis, Bursitis.
- Chronic Back and Neck Pain
- Myofascial Trigger Points
- Acute and Chronic Joint Problems- Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ligament and Tendon Injuries, Chrondomalacial Patella
- Reduction of Inflammation
- Wound Management- Open Wounds, Pressure Sores, Post-surgical healing, Ulcers, Diabetic ulcerations, Burns
- Dermatological Conditions- Eczema, Acne Vulgaris, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Herpes, Shingles, Dermatitis
- Fractures- Non-union, Small bone
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Brachial Neuralgia
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Frozen Shouler
- Carpal Tunnel
- Strep Throat
What To Expect During Your Cold Laser Treatment
During cold laser treatment of the tissue we utilize lasers that are in the red and infrared spectrum, including lasers that are 635nm, 360nm and 808nm. Some of our lasers are especially designed for acupuncture points, for auricular acupuncture, while others are designed to cover large areas.
Lasers work by virtue of interaction between cells and photons, a photochemical reaction. Photons from the laser affect the tissue at the cellular level. The cold laser enters the tissue, alters the cell membrane permeability, and at the cellular level is absorbed in the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the “Powerhouse” of the cells and make ATP (energy), which is needed for the life enhancement process of every cell, which facilitates:
- Rapid cell growth– The laser accelerates cellular reproduction and growth.
- Faster wound healing– The laser stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissue. The reduction in recovery time is an important consideration.
- Increased metabolic activity– Helps the body increase output of specific enzymes; greater laser induces oxygen to blood cells and more effective immune response.
- Reduced fibrous tissue formation– The laser reduces the formation of scar tissue following damage from cuts, scratches, burns, or following surgery.
- Anti-inflammatory action– The laser reduces the swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to give improved joint mobility.
- Increased vascular activity– The laser stimulates lymph and blood circulation, to allow the affected tissue to have the best possible circulation.
- Stimulated nerve function– Slow recovery of nerve function in damaged tissue can result in “dead” limbs or nub areas. Laser will speed to process of nerve cell reconnection to bring the numb areas back to life. Laser also increases the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle action.
Research has shown that the cells of your body actually communicate with each other through coherent light (laser).
The metabolism of injured and diseased tissue is decreased and the laser creates an increase in metabolism and cell communication immediately.
Addictions & Withdrawal:
The use of LLLT has been shown to lower cravings and addictions, it increase the release of dopamine, and it can help those who suffer with addiction to experience much less, or no, withdrawal symptoms as their system is detoxing the chemical addiction.
LLLT is also used to stimulate the traditional Chinese medicine meridians (Acu points or acupuncture points) without puncturing the skin with needles.. So, LLLT is a safe, quick, very gentle yet effective alternative to acupuncture ..
Most seasoned acupuncturists move away from needling to the use of lasers and electricity, they also prefer auricular acu treatments.
Cold laser articles and research:
We Utilize LLLT & Laser Acupuncture at Wise MindBody Healing for:
- Weight loss support
- Smoke cessation and other addiction support
- Pain management
- Anxiety reduction
- Needle-less acupuncture and auricular laser acupuncture. This works with any issues that acupuncture helps with by balancing energizing the energy meridians promoting balance allowing the body to heal.
Call us today to learn how Low Level Laser Therapy can be used to help you heal and reach your fullest potential.